A place for Ryans, sealions, and other things that bark.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

A Meal That's Fit For a (Burger) King

In terms of size, my kitchen is great. Plenty of room to maneuver, cook, and clean, with ample cabinet space and a decent size kitchen table. In terms of appliances, my kitchen is also probably better than that of the average bachelor pad; I have a new microwave, oven, range, and refrigerator, as well as a toaster and blender that still work very well. In terms of dishware and utensils, my kitchen certainly has room to improve. Basically, immediately prior to moving, I raided Wal-Mart and bought a cheap set of plates, glasses and utensils. As recent visitors have noted, the sharpest knife I own is a glorified butter-knife, (which also serves as a wine bottle opener, a back-scratcher, and protection from burglars).

However, upon my recent return from the latest trip, I took a look in my underutilized fridge and noticed that, without question, my food selection leaves the most to be desired. Which is a nice way of saying my food selection sucks (and by extension, so do I). Basically, over the last four months, I have been traveling fairly extensively for both business and pleasure, so that I decided I wouldn’t buy any perishable food until I knew I would be back in my apartment for longer than a few days at a time. Well, that time is now. Let’s assess the situation together:

  • 11 bottles of Miller Light
  • 19 cans of Natural Ice, expired in March (brought by others, drank by others, untouched by me)
  • 1 empty Brita water pitcher
  • 1 can of Dr. Extreme, (which is like Dr. Pepper, only more extreme. I think there might be drugs in it.)
  • 1 loaf of bread: Sell by date of May 11, 2005
  • 1 mega jar of Skippy peanut butter, (I choose to ignore those choosy moms, who choose Jif)
  • 1 jar of strawberry jelly
  • 1 carton of eggs, with an expiration date of May 20, 2005
  • 2.5 sticks of butter
  • 11 slices of American cheese, (yellow now, but might have started off as the white variety)
  • 1 jar of Kraft parmesan cheese, (which smells, but I think that’s just the parmesan doing its thing)
  • 1 bottle of Ken’s Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette salad dressing
  • 1 bottle of Ken’s Bleu Cheese salad dressing, (who is this Ken, and why does he have a monopoly on the dressings of my fridge?!)
  • 1 bottle of Gulden’s spicy brown mustard
  • 1 bottle of Texas Pete’s hot sauce
  • 1 jar of that crazy chili garlic sauce with the rooster on it, (not sure the brand)

    And in the freezer:
  • 1 ice cube tray
  • Another ice cube tray


  • That’s it. That’s all there is. The only thing sadder than the contents of my fridge is my hungry stomach. Basically, I’m trying to decide between a moldy peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and a rotten cheese omelet for dinner. Kinda leaning toward the omelet, because I have so many sauces to dip it in. Yum.

    Ok, I’m kidding. When it comes to food, I’d rather throw out then throw up. So first, I will do some necessary purging of my fridge, and then, I will commence with the long overdue grocery shopping. And please Mom, don’t blame yourself; you did the best you could trying to bring me up right and teaching me the value of a fully stocked kitchen. But years of television, video games and narcotics have turned me into a bad apple, with a fridge full of bad food. Damn you, MTV, Nintendo and crack cocaine. Damn you for what you’ve done to me!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home