A place for Ryans, sealions, and other things that bark.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

XYZ (Examine Your Zipcar)

I recently joined a car sharing program called "Zip Car". For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term "car sharing", here's how it works: Car sharing companies purchase a bunch of cars, places them strategically throughout major metropolitan areas, and then members of the program can pay an hourly rate to use them, (basically, renting by the hour rather than by the day). In order to use a Zip Car, I reserve the car online for the time slot I want, and then I go to the cars, (which happen to be located conveniently next to my building). Using a special pass that I can wave in front of the car doors, the car senses it is me, (and that I have it reserved during this time). It then automatically unlocks the door, and I can drive away using the key which is tethered to the dashboard. It's great because I get the convenience of a car but pay far less than I would if I actually owned one, (I don't have to worry about car payments, car insurance, gas, parking or anything else besides the hourly rate).

Of course, this scheme only works in metropolitan areas where cars are not required to get around. I normally don't need a car (I live within a block of a subway stop, my work, a mall, a movie theater etc) so therefore, I can get by most days without entering an automobile. Zip Car comes in handy when I need to venture beyond where public transit or walking can conveniently take me. If you live in an urban area, you should look to see if Zip Car, (or Flex Car, or one of the other car sharing companies) is available in your neighborhood. However, if you live in the suburbs, (or anywhere else where cars are required to get pretty much anywhere), then this program would not be feasible for you.

Well Sharon, I'm done sharing my feelings about car sharing. Hopefully, someone out there learned something new today. Seacrest, out!

1 Comments:

Blogger FrannyD said...

yay i am happy that you are using real cars and real car services.

3:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home